Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine are known to be helpful in treating infertility. Over the last 20 year the medical community, both eastern and western, has been conducting studies to better understand the effects of acupuncture and fertility. The knowledge that has been collected has been used to combine acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine to improve fertility and increase the chances of conceiving naturally.
Acupuncture can help with balancing hormone levels, improving circulation to the to the reproductive organs, positively affect ovary function and enhance egg quality. To achieve optimal results we recommend a minimum of three to five treatments per cycle, as acupuncture has a cumulative effect. It can be difficult to know how many treatments will be needed. There are a number of contributing factors to the cause of infertility, all of which our acupuncturists can work with you and your family doctor or fertility doctor to manage. These may include lifestyle changes, supplements, herbs, exercises and/or meditation practices.
Each treatment plan is customized to your body’s constitution as each woman is different. Acupuncture is also very beneficial throughout pregnancy once you conceive, and is safe during any trimester you may be in. It helps nourish the baby by improving blood flow and movement of these essential body fluids throughout the body. It’s also very beneficial for aches and discomfort you may develop throughout your pregnancy.
Effects of Acupuncture for Fertility:
- Boosting blood flow to reproductive organs, such as helping endometrium to facilitate a thick, rich lining.
- Positively affecting ovary function and enhance egg quality.
- Balancing hormones such as an under-functioning thyroid (hypothyroidism) or over-functioning thyroid (hyperthyroidism).
- Reducing Inflammation. (Inflammation is also thought to upset the balance between reproductive hormones progesterone and estrogen, and swelling in the uterine lining can make it harder for an embryo to implant.)
- Relieving anxiety: external circumstances beyond your control, such as infertility itself, can set off your anxiety and acupuncture allows your body to take back control.